Monday, February 28, 2011

Looking at the End, To see the Path

Writing your own Eulogy can force you to see what you want the end result to be for your life and help set the path you take to reach the results you want. 

My administrative management professor asked my class to write our own eulogies based on the idea we will live 60 years from our current age. He went on to ask us to think about what we want really want from life before writing and to write it from someone else's perspective. His purpose for this was to force us to think about what exactly it is that we want from life, past our college degrees.

Let me tell you, this was NOT an easy task. 

When I look at my life up to this point, at the age of 25, I feel I have some of the things I wanted so desperately as a young girl: a husband, house, and a college degree. Okay so I am not exactly finished with my degree but halfway there, so I count it. Aside from that trying to pin down exactly what it is I want out of life is a difficult challenge.

I know I want to work in event management but I also want to be a business owner. I have one child but have been thinking that he needs a friend in this life. Also, I have this desire to work for a cause like I have in the past with the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life. These are the only things I really know I want but I have never thought of how I am supposed to get them.

With these things in mind I wrote my eulogy from my oldest daughter’s point of view. I tried to keep in mind how I want my children to remember me and used that to guide my life’s actions.

While being a mother is very important to me, having a successful career is equally important. In writing my eulogy, I took what I knew I wanted and put a clearer definition of it down. I want to own my own event management agency under the name of Pink Productions.

Which is where this blog derived its name, Pink Productions, my blog about the journey I am on to define, open, and find success in the career I have always wanted.

My hope for this blog is that it becomes a professional diary of my journey, although it started as an extra credit option for my writing class.

So here is to taking a eulogy and putting it to life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment